AVERY HOG HEAVEN BARLEYWINE-STYLE ALE

Beer Style: Barleywine Style Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 75L
OG: 1.085 ABV: 9.2% IBUs: 104
Color: Deep Garnet
Availability: Year round in 22oz. bombers, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.

"Barleywine-Style Ale"? Really? I bought this because of the style being one of my favorites, but if I was blind tasting it, I would guess Double IPA. It tastes like a Turbo IPA to me, and everyone else I tasted it with. Having stated that, it is still a very drinkable beer with a decent future.

The aroma is deceiving to me, really smelling a lot like a barleywine-style ale. A very nice fruity alcohol nose. Poured a dark reddish brown, nice head, and noticeable lacing. Tastes of hops, nuts, toffee, and alcohol. Nice mouth-feel and a slightly bitter finish.

I will definitely stash a couple of these away and try them down the road.

Comments

Popular Posts