Serves 2 .
Discover the passionate side of Red and awaken your senses. The red vegetables and fruit in this soup are a natural source of fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and iron – all nutrients that are part of a healthy lifestyle.
The Marina Market also carries a variety of Maggi and Knorr German and Toro Norwegian soup mixes.
In a saucepan, bring 2 cups (500 mL) water to a boil, whisk in soup mix. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally. Makes 2 servings.
Ingredients Dried vegetables (tomatoes, red bell peppers, potatoes, beets, leeks), potato starch, onion & garlic powder, apple powder, salt, yeast extract, sugar, extra virgin olive oil, dried vegetable stock [yeast extract, salt, vegetable juice concentrates (contains celery juice), palm fat], herbs, paprika, acerola cherry powder, white pepper, maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, mono & diglycerides, sodium phosphate, citric acid, tocopherols and sulphites. May contain milk ingredients.
Or you can make your own:
8 fleshy red bell peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 red chilies, chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (for a vegetarian version)
3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
3-5 sprigs parsley
3-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, extra
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup light cream (optional)
1) Peppers:, halved brushed with olive oil, baked in a very hot oven until the skin blisters and blackens.
2) Place in a plastic bag 10 minutes, then remove blackened skin, and chop coarsely.
3) Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
4) Cook the onions, garlic and chillies until soft, but not brown.
5) Add the paprika and cook for 1 more minute.
6) Add the peppers, stock, potatoes, parsley, thyme sprigs and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
7) Remove the herb sprigs.
8) Puree in a food processor until smooth adding the thyme, vinegar and cream (if you're using it) just before you finish. Serve hot or cold. This is better the next day.