Butter Chicken

Butter chicken or Murgh makhani is an Indian dish from Delhi, during the period of Mughal Empire. It is a dish that you can make very mild or spicy, as you wish.



In the traditional recipes the chicken is marinated overnight in a yogurt and spice mixture (garam masala, ginger, garlic paste, lemon or lime, pepper, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili).

To cook the chicken you can grill, roast or pan fry, depending preference.


Makhani, the sauce, is made by heating and mixing butter, tomato puree, and various spices, (cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, fenugreek) and fresh cream. If you like a thicker gravy you can add ground cashew or candle nuts.

I use the Asian Home Gourmet spice packets to make my Butter Chicken. Why? Because they are easy, taste Great and have no artificial junk in them -at all!

So tonight I used Costco chicken tenders which I think are more cost efficient than the frozen breasts. They dismiss less water and non of that icky hard to clean up white gel.

I didn't have the tomatoes the recipe calls for so I used a frozen tomato, mushroom, onion and fennel saute I made about a month or so ago. Not to traditional but it went well. I also steamed broccoli and cauliflower to go on the plate.

I also put in a Brown Cow cream on top Plain Yogurt into the pan with the cooked chicken and tomato mix. I put this on medium heat and let it simmer 5 minutes. Garnished it with a nob of butter.

For a garnish you can top with sliced green chillies and crushed fenugreek leaves to taste.

I served with both rice and Tandoori Naan bread, which I heated in the microwave for 35 seconds. It puffs up and makes a great 'hot pocket' filled with the Butter Chicken & rice. I will post photos of the Naan with the Chicken shortly.

Comments

Popular Posts