Fennel experimentation begins with a stir fry

I have decided to experiment with fennel, I love the taste of it but honestly have never really given a go at mastering using it. So last night I stir fried: sliced fennel bulb, yellow squash, and red onion in coconut oil.

I thought about adding mushrooms and red peppers but decided at the last minute not to. So I stir fried the veggies (all together) for about 6 minutes then I poured in 1/2 can of Kern's mango juice and let it steam for 4 more minutes until soft. There was still quite a bit of juice left. I put this mixture over steamed rice and boy it was good! The coconut oil really gave a rounded out flavor to the dish which I served with chicken.


Coconut Oil info:

How can I add Harvest Bay Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to my diet? Harvest Bay Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a good alternative to butter and shortening and for medium-heat baking and sauteing. Try it on popcorn instead of butter or replace your regular toast toppings with a teaspoon of oil. It is sure to become your favorite! Please note: Organic Coconut Oil is not suitable for use at high-heat levels. * Well I used it on Medium to stir fry.



Tomorrow I am going to try a variation of the following recipe. I'm going to cook my own beans so they white beans are on with about 2 tsp dried rosemary. I love the Muir Glen tomatoes, and use them all the time.
I used to work at Alfalfa's Market in the kitchen when I was in Grad school. This recipe actually sounds like one that Sylvia Tawes the (then) spiritual culinary leader of the kitchen would have made up. She is the first person who talked nonstop (that I had heard) about the integrity of food.
I have to credit Sylvia for teaching me to take risks both in the kitchen and in accepting that my destiny really is in food.
I think she may have in reality since her promotion company the fresh ideas group did the very successful product launch of Muir Glen tomatoes


BRAISED CHICKEN WITH FENNEL AND WHITE BEANS

Braised in white wine, tomatoes and rosemary, this chicken is moist and flavorful.
3 tablespoons olive oil

2 1/2- to 3-lb cut-up whole chicken, skin removed

1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)

1/8 teaspoon pepper1 small onion, cut into thin wedges

2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored, thinly sliced

1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips

1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic whole peeled tomatoes, undrained, cut up

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

1 can (15 or 19 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed

Chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, if desired

In deep 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.


Add chicken pieces to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is light golden brown. Remove chicken from pan.
Add onion, garlic, fennel and bell pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add chicken, tomatoes, wine and rosemary. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken once.
Uncover; stir in beans. Cook about 5 minutes longer or until sauce is slightly thickened and juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone. Serve in shallow bowls; sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with crusty French or Italian bread. You'll need it to dip in the flavorful sauce!
Makes 4 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts