7 lbs beef back ribs
DH used a combination of short ribs, aged prime rib and regular beef ribs. He is a marinade and sauce master (cooking school) so he made up this fenneled up beauty.
1 (12 ounce) bottle Sierra Nevada pale ale beer
2 shallots minced
1/3 Cup Kaki Tiga Ketjap (sweet thick soy sauce)
1/3 Cup hot sauce (I used Kokita kecap sambal)
3 Tbs minced fennel
1/2 cup Knorr Balsamic Olive oil dressing
Juice of one lemon
1. Combine all the ingredients (except ribs) in a bowl
2. Place the slabs of ribs in a large plastic bag and pour in the sauce, turn to coat the ribs& seal the bag. We vacuum pack the bag so the marinade really works it's way into the meat.
3. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
4. Remove ribs from the marinade.
5. Place ribs over medium heat and grill for 50-60 minutes until cooked, turning the ribs as needed.
The acids from the lemon and the vinegar help tenderize the meat and allow the flavors of the fennel and spices to penetrate into the meat. The flavor of the spices really came through nicely, it kind of reminded me or Korean ribs.
Here is an interesting link to the National Barbecue News where the are dedicated to the sport of BBQ!